Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Favorites: Chocolate Balls

This is, hands down, my all-time favorite Christmas treat. I grew up eating these every Christmas and they're the first thing that goes on my list to make each year. No, they are not the least bit good for you, but they're small and if you only eat one or two at a time, they're not that bad. Besides, it's Christmas - not the time to be counting calories, in my opinion! :)

 
 

Combine peanut butter, icing sugar, egg, and vanilla in medium bowl.
Add cherries and coconut, stir to combine.
Form into ~1" balls (you may want to chill dough slightly prior to this otherwise it gets really sticky when you try to roll it in your hands) and place on parchment paper-lined pan. Refrigerate or freeze until firm (make sure they're very cold or frozen before dipping into warm chocolate, otherwise they melt and fall into the chocolate).
Melt 1 c. chocolate (I like semi-sweet) with 1/4 block Parowax* in saucepan. Use a toothpick or skewer to dip balls into warm chocolate and freeze again until set.
Store in freezer until ready to eat.

Pre-chocolate dunk
*Note about Parowax: I've always been kind of grossed out by the idea of eating wax. However, I have tried to make these using straight chocolate, and it doesn't work nearly as well. The wax gives the melted chocolate a much thinner consistency, making it easier to dip. It also makes the chocolate set up quicker and prevents it from melting too quickly if they sit out of the fridge/freezer for a while (or in your hand while eating). Yes, it's a little gross to think about eating wax, and probably not all that good for you, but these only get made once a year in our house, so I let it slide. If anyone has tips or ideas on a suitable alternative, please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my - I remember these from family gatherings. They were one of the things that always disappeared quickly!


    Have you tried using dipping chocolate rather than regular chocolate and wax? Your Grandma Rempel used to make chocolates using dipping chocolate, and it set quite nicely, but I don't know how it would work in this application.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...